Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Jackson Falls

Again from my friend, Mel, this trail report about some time he spent at Jackson Falls in mid March. We won't hold it against him that he wasn't carrying a pack and had the horse to do the walking..... :-)

Mel is a great friend to hikers in the Shawnee. He showed up unexpectedly early one morning at Trigg Tower in a steady rain to be sure our group had his phone number in case we needed help during our hike. Nice....

*********************************************************************************

While the river to river trail in the Shawnee national forest is a 200 mile challenging visually diverse experience, many spectacular sights await you slightly off the designated r to r trail. One example is Jackson falls. Whether you climb, hike, or ride it on a horse like I usually do, Jackson falls never ceases to be impressive, interesting and constantly changing. We rode the falls area and beyond on March 13 with a threatening cloudy sky. We prepared for rain but were not disappointed by the lack thereof. We visited with climbers at spleef reef and then enjoyed lunch at the waterfall itself. We stopped at a rock that is photogenic place for horses on our way to railroad rock. The trail through Jackson falls always fills me with awe and gives me a good feeling on the inside. The ride allows me to enjoy my friends and appreciate my horse. Mel

**********************************************************************************




3 comments:

  1. Nice to see positive interaction between horse folks and backpacker/climbers. jm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be careful with my comment, but most shared trails I have hiked are not that great for hikers as horses do a job on the tread. How does the River to River Trail shape up for hikers? I hiked down at Big South Fork last year, an the shared trails were terrible. The riders would not go through the mud, and would swing out around muddy areas, which of course would trash the trail around the mud holes for the hikers.

    I picked up your guide...very nice work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be doing my first River to River hike this year for my 50th birthday.

    ReplyDelete